Sunday, September 23, 2012

That of a Homeostasis Lab (feat. Stephenoso)

    There are many ways to force homeostasis to activate. So conducting a lab around it should be fairly simple- except combined Stephen Mathews and I poured our sweat, tears, and yes blood into this Lab.
This might be fairly uneventful as I forgot to take pictures (you would  be distracted too if you had to stab your self 8 times... for science of course).
Totally awesome blood drop costume.

     In my Biology blog, (here) I explained the advanced scientific method; with that knowledge I formed a skeleton of a lab to test Homeostasis. Originally Stephen and I were playing it safe. Our plan was to use cotton balls to measure sweat and then weigh them. We could form questions around it and apply necessary variables, like how long to run and where to gather sweat. This experiment meets the requirements, but we realized how incredibly lame it was. So we bumped it up a bit.
All that was left from our original lab.

     No one else was bleeding, even though our notes included an imbalance of blood glucose levels. I have a diabetic grandma so I thought why not... for science right? We decided that homeostasis uses energy from what we eat or what is stored in our body to raise the blood glucose level when it drops. As was explained in my Bio blog, experiments can branch into multiple questions. Stephen and I decided to test various bars of deliciousness to test their ability to maintain those levels. We decided that I would run two laps, which is just long enough to work that bar and kill me. So during class we trekked to the track, and took the first test. I would then eat the chosen bar and chew forever... FOREVER. After running the two laps, we would test me again and repeat the next day.
I kind of laughed for 12 minutes at this.

    The bars we tested were Fruit nut trail mix thing, Peanut thing, and Almond thing. All great granola bars, but their effects were pretty wimpy... Shame on you granola. Here is a table to break down our information.

     So in answer to our question, peanut and almond tied for least amount of change, so they 'worked the best.' Even though neither of them worked well at all, this opens up for us to ask more questions; What if we compared fruits? What happens if we change to laps to 4? Thank you nut group for attempting to keep homeostasis from stepping in but you didn't do so well. So concludes my first group lab for this class! Stephen and I are officially science bros.





No comments:

Post a Comment